blog template

Friday, July 31, 2009

We Don't Need to Whisper


I remember hearing that Tom DeLonge said the best way to listen to Angels and Airwave's 'We Don't Need to Whisper' is in a dark room, with a candle as the only light. Several nights ago I decided to try it. What Tom doesn't realize is that I require much more specific instructions than the ones he provided.

Before I even began I realized that I didn't know what kind of candle I was supposed to use, I settled for one that we have for power outages similar to the one pictured above. I figured it was more legit to use this instead of a factory produced smelly one in a glass jar. I'm pretty sure the one I used is factory produced and is most likely from Walmart. Nevertheless, I lit the candle and made my way to my bedroom, I set it on my dresser and came to the next problem...how should I listen to the album?

I decided to listen to it on my CD player rather than my Ipod, I figured it would have a greater effect through bigger speakers. The music began and I came to my next problem, what was I supposed to look at? I wanted to close my eyes, but that defeats the purpose of having candlelight. The candle was not creating any cool shadows, so I decided to stare at the flame. It worked and I was becoming quite mesmerized with the music and Tom's beautiful voice when I got to 'Do It For Me Now' and my CD started skipping. It completely ruined the mood...and I couldn't fix it, so I had to switch over to my Ipod and headphones. It wasn't quite as powerful, but I still very much enjoyed the experience! I invite you to also try this out and spend 50 minutes or so listening to Tom's views on love and war. You will notice things you've never noticed before.

I have one final thought on this experience. On 'Good Day' the lyrics state "true love is something that comes easy." Every time I hear these words I always start an internal debate on whether I agree with the statement or not. I still can't decide, so please feel free to enlighten me with your thoughts on the subject in the comments. Thanks.

2 comments:

Tyrone I said...

This might be confusing, but it makes sense in my head.

To get to the state where you know you know you're in true love, takes time, just like anything great. Once in that state, caring for him/her and putting him/her first comes easy. People who aren't truly in love, find it hard to do that. Hope this made sense.

Tyrone I said...

I just heard a line from a song that made me think of this.

"It takes not time to fall in love, but it takes you years to know what love is." Life is Wonderful by Jason Mraz